Sunday, November 3, 2013

Data Structures

What exactly are data structures? To most outside the profession in computer science or engineering and some field of biology, a solid knowledge of what data structures are is rare to find. That's why it can be a great benefit to have a broad understanding of the concept, what it entails, and why it is relevant in today's age.

Simply put, data structures are systems or methods of data organization in computers in such a way as to make that data easy to access and be stored efficiently.

For large companies that deal with extremely large amounts of data as well as sensitive and private data, we can see that the ways in which data is stored becomes a very valued area of development and interest for them. For financial institutions private customer data like account information, credit card numbers, and records must be managed efficiently and safely.

Data structures are based on a very basic principle or stored at specific addresses in the computer and accessible data in the forms of integers or strings, that is letters, through RAM or a computer's capacity to handle data. That data is then manipulated by a set of written procedures in order for the user to achieve their desired objective.


2 comments:

  1. I thought your post on data structures was informative on a general level. Some of the concepts are hard to understand so I liked how you explained it basically so that anyone can understand. It was a little short, and could use a link to a source, but you made up for that by being concise and talking from what you know instead of using someone else’s words. Overall I think you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I do have the same idea with you about Data Structure. In fact, data structure and algorithm are the core concept of computer science. Without having a structure and algorithm for handling data, a software is totally useless. Your post remind me material in my CS146 class. Ever since I took Data Structure class, I have a different view about software. Furthermore, learning algorithm help me optimize the runtime speed of my code. Overall, your post is very informative, and I like it.

    ReplyDelete